Seagrave “Junior” AerialBuilt 1938. Acquired 1975.
The town of Staunton, Virginia maintained this rig in its original condition. It was a very advanced design — America’s first entirely hydraulically powered aerial with a metal ladder and hydraulic outriggers. It also had Seagrave’s powerful 250 horsepower V-12 engine. It’s 80 gallon booster tank with a small pump gave it some quick response capability at a fire. learn More
Pirsch “All-Power” AerialBuilt 1937. Ex - Kenosha, WI. Acquired 1970.
The Pirsch Fire Apparatus Company of Kenosha, Wisconsin was one of America’s premier builders of fire equipment. Together with Mack, Pirsch introduced in 1931 the first aerial truck to use hydraulic and mechanical power to raise, extend, and turn its aerial ladder. Until its introduction, aerial trucks used the “spring assist” design or relied on an unwieldy system built around compressed air or water pressure from a hydrant. learn More
Ahrens Fox “Quad”Built 1930. Acquired 1970
This rig was built for the village of River Forest, Illinois. Fox called it a “Quad” because it had four capabilities: a large (1000 gpm) pump; a 100 gallon water storage tank and small diameter “booster” hose for quick attack; over 200 linear feet of ground ladders; and storage for over 1000 feet of large diameter hose. Standard fire engines were typically “Triples”- they lacked the ability to carry more than a pair of small ladders. learn More
Gallery IV displays several classic pieces, in addition to an extensive “hands on” fire safety” exhibit and a display of over 4,000 arm patches from all over the world. Visitors use a print out to locate the arm patch from their home town. Prominently on display is a fully restored Ahrens – Fox “quad” fire engine from River Forest, Illinois that helped fight many huge fires in Chicago. The quad has led the Fiesta Bowl Parade for over 30 years. The gallery also includes two aerial trucks that are in original condition – a rare attribute for historic apparatus. The first is a 1937 Pirsch aerial truck from Kenosha, Wisconsin; the second is a 1938 Seagrave “junior” aerial truck from Staunton, Virginia.